Thursday 12 January 2017

New year update


Time and tiredness (when when when will Erin consistently sleep all night...?) are the barriers to many of the things I haven't started, or got very far with, yet. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations of how much 'free time' I have with a 9, 6 and 1 year old, a job, and a husband who's sometimes not here. However, it's all a learning curve, and if one of the things I learn in this exercise is that I am asking too much of myself and that I need to be firm with myself about what I do and don't take on, then I'm happy with that.

So, where am I? I've started the non-fiction book but am too tired to take any of it in when it comes to reading it in the evenings. But I'm ploughing on. I'm listening to factual podcasts which I'm finding very interesting. I haven't yet dared face a week without TV, it's such a nice way to flop and switch off with my spare 10 minutes at the end of the day. Also haven't done a week without coffee. I've realised that it's the ritual of making and drinking it that I love, rather than the coffee itself. I think that week, when I come to it, will be hard. I'm listening to classical music but find that I drift off into my own thoughts rather than actually listen. I'm at the early stages of involvement with local community charities - I'd originally hoped to get very involved with one charity, on a committee, but have now seen and accepted that time will be an issue (I've already had to, very reluctantly, cut back on my time commitments to another charity I volunteer for) so I am dipping in and out of various charities. Ed has an amazing plan for me learning my favourite song on the piano, a brilliant, achievable, plan; I just keep forgetting to practice. The ten minutes I need for that are also the ten minutes I need for a million other things, notably the post-natal exercises and reading. I need to focus on prioritising, without creating more of a burden for myself. All other things are in hand or in motion except the knitting which I've not yet started, the juggling which I think may well be crossed off the list altogether, and the hello in 40 languages. I'm thinking of changing that last one to learning the basics of Italian as we've just booked a holiday there for the summer and I know literally none, something I'm never comfortable with when abroad.

Back with another update sometime. Arrivaderci for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment